December 15, 2008

Proud / Humble

I really have had to examine myself through lesson 2. On Day 5: Making it Personal, there was a list of examples of a proud people vs. humble people. This is what was on it:

Proud People
1. focus on the failures of others
2.have a critical spirit, fault finding spirit;look at everyone else's faults with a microscope but their own with a telescope
3. are self righteous; look down on others
4. have an independent, self sufficient spirit
5. have to prove they are right
6. claim rights; have a demanding spirit
7. are self-protective of their time, their rights, and their reputation
8. desire to be served
9. desire to make a name for themselves
10. desire self-advancement
11. have a drive to be recognizedand appreciated
12.are wounded when others are promoted and they are over-looked



Humble people
1. are overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need
2. are compassionate; can forgive much because mauch has been forgiven them
3. esteem all othersbetter than themselves
4. have a dependent spirit; recognize their need for others
5. are not argumentative
6. yield their rights; have a meek spirit
7. are self- denying
8. are motivated to serve others
9. are motivated to be faithful and to make others a success
10. desire to promote others
11. have a sense of their own unworthiness; are thrilled that God use them at all
12. are eager for others to get the credit and rejoice when others are lifted up
We are in a world that teaches us to basicly only look out for ourselves; do what makes up happy no no matter what that might be. We are taught to be so independent that we might not even see the need for God in our lives.
I know I see the need for God in my life and without Him everything will fail. Going through this list though showed me areas of pride in my own life. One thing I always wanted was others' approval. I can see how that too is pride. I guess that is caring about your reputaion and wanting everyone to think good of you.
We can also have an attitude where we are so confident that we don't care what anyone thinks; I'm always right, who cares what they all say. I will do what I want to do and I don't need approval from anyone.
This lesson gave examples of people in the Old Testament who headed for disaster because of their pride. God wanted to help them but the only ones who could be helped were those who humbled themselves.
If that is the only way, I can be close to our Heavenly Father and do His will, then I definately want to be humbled!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can point out several under the pride column as well. I've been going over some of this in the other Bible study I'm doing. By the way, tonight ,I will be finishing up the ladies' Bible study. I can finally give 100% of myself to this study. I know I could have just not done Seeking Him but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. Thank you so much for doing this....I look foward to being more involved.