March 10, 2009

The Depth of Forgiveness


Have we forgiven as Christ has forgiven us? I have come to the conclussion that no we are not there yet. Christ forgave all our sins in an instant. He took all of our sins on Himself though He did not deserve that punishment! Can we say we are at that point where we have already taken everything anyone could possibly do to us today, tomorrow or in the future sometime, and have already forgiven all of it? Going into this lesson, I was thinking well this isn't going to be a big issue for me at this point because I have already forgiven everyone that has hurt me in anyway and I know that I want to forgive all coming offenses no matter what. No doubt about it! What God proved to me though, is that He can always take you to the next level of forgiveness. He showed me how small the things are that we need to forgive compared to what He has forgiven us. He seemed to expand things a little and show me a bigger picture of how unlimited our forgiveness needs to be. We can always grow and forgive more. Just another step closer to what He did. Such a tiny step really! The burdens He carried on the cross suddenly looked much heavier than before and I am more grateful than ever for what He did for me!

Also I've often been selfish by getting wrapped up in the areas where others have hurt me. I would have been a brighter light for Jesus if I hadn't been wrapped up in me.Maybe if I was more wrapped up in the things of God , I wouldn't even have noticed when someone did me "wrong."

Also, I should be more concerned about how I may have hurt someone else then how they hurt me. There is the best way for us all to look at it I think. To be able to apply that to our life and not just say it, is by prayer and feeding ourselves daily with God's word. Put our focus and energy into God. Loving Him above all else! It is then God Himself who forgives through us.


Ephesians 4

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Lets ask ourselves:
Have we truly forgiven all things and gotten rid of any bitterness? If we have, we will no longer need to talk about any offenses and we also won't need to say I forgave but I won't forget. Not that we will have a lost of memory, but we just won't have any reason left to think about the issues anymore.

No comments: